We understand the importance of physical activity and sport to the overall well-being of every child and are committed to raising participation rates and achievement for all our children. To help with these aims, we have ensured that our sports premium will:
- Benefit all children regardless of sporting ability.
- Ensure that children are given the opportunity to participate in different types of sports including outdoor adventure activities.
- Ensure staff have access to training opportunities and continued professional development.
With the above rationale in mind, we have used our Sports Premium funding to:
- Employ a qualified sport coach to work alongside our staff to support teachers in their teaching of PE. This investment in the professional development of staff at our school is to ensure that they are best equipped to teach high quality Physical Education and school sport for years to come. Many of these coaching skills can be transferred into other sports.
- Support low income families with the opportunity for their child to attend a residential trip.
- To promote both physical and mental well-being by introducing YOGA as part of the curriculum which was delivered by a qualified teacher and upskilled staff.
- Provide various after school sporting clubs for all children.
- To provide all children with a quality Outdoor Education experience by Hothersall Lodge from Y1 -Y6 either in school or at Hothersall Lodge.
- To invest in quality equipment so staff can deliver quality lessons.
What has been the Impact?
The school evaluate the impact of the sports premium funding as part of our normal self-evaluation and provision mapping arrangements. Systems are in place to monitor the spending plan to ensure the children get the best possible experiences to ensure they have access to high quality PE sessions both in and out of school.
Participation in sporting clubs continues to rise year on year with all clubs increasing their attendance by 50% this academic year.
Staff development continues to focus highly with some of this funding. All teachers have received support within their PE sessions from our qualified sports- coach.
In addition to this, our coach runs lunch time sporting activities for both Key Stages ensuring access for all. Children’s activity levels have been raised due to the fact more children are accessing the provision at lunch times and after school.
Yoga has had a positive impact on the children’s readiness to learn as well as linking heart and mind. All feedback from children has been positive and they liked that it had been added to the curriculum. This was due to Pupil Voice from last year.
The Outdoor education provided by Hothersall Lodge, in school, gave Y1 -Y5 the opportunity to experience activities that a normal PE lesson could not provide. This has been planned to be a rolling programme so all children will gain different experiences culminating in a 3-day residential trip.
Due to social distancing rules, PE in the Autumn term will be more fitness based, focusing on children setting themselves goals.
As part of our 2020-2021 provision we will be offering Commando Joe one day a week to all year groups. This will run throughout the school year on a rota basis, meaning that all children will have the opportunity to learn new skills.
At St Matthew’s we are committed to ensuring our children have a variety of sporting experiences. We will continue to run a Team Building week at the beginning of the autumn term which will be run by Hothersall Lodge building on the children’s experiences from last academic year.
Yoga will continue to be delivered as part of the curriculum in the Spring term
Dance will be delivered in the Summer term by a qualified dance teacher.
To find out more about the Sports Premium please click on the link below:
UK Government website
PE and sport premium for primary schools.
Take a look at what we have been doing...