During this time of partial school closures, only those who are eligible to receive one through meeting specific criteria are being provided with meals. This does not include all Infants who would normally automatically receive a daily meal.
If you think you may be eligible then please read the following information (which can also be found at https://www.lancashire.gov.uk/children-education-families/schools/free-school-meals/
Your child may be able to get free school meals if you get any of the following:
- Universal Credit with a household income of less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
- Income-Based Jobseekers' Allowance
- Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit, not entitled to Working Tax Credit and household income less than £16,190
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Income Support
- Working Tax Credit 'run on' – the payment you receive for a further four weeks after you finish work
If your child is currently eligible for free school meals, that eligibility will be protected until Universal Credit is introduced (expected March 2022) even if your circumstances change. If your child is still in education on this date, they will be eligible until they finish the phase of schooling (primary or secondary) they are in.
If you have a younger child starting school in September and you are no longer eligible, they will not be protected because this would be a new claim.
What happens next
We will confirm whether you are eligible by email. If you do not get an email within 5 working days, contact your area education office. Remember to also check your spam or junk email folder.
If you are eligible, we will let the school know that your child can have free school meals.
Schools differ in how they inform the dinner service who can get free school meals. Please contact your school if you have any questions.
Apply by phone
You can ring your local area education office. It must be the person claiming the benefit that rings.
You will need to provide your:
- Date of birth
- National insurance number
They will confirm whether you are entitled over the telephone.
Apply by post
Download the application form and return it to your local area education office.
- Free school meals and pupil premium form (PDF 939 KB)
If you apply by post we will notify you by email, or post if you do not provide an email address.
Page 3 of 8